Wednesday, March 3, 2010

In the hospital :(

Ever have one of those days where you expect it to go one way and it ends up turning out COMPLETELY opposite of what you expected??? Yesterday we had an ultrasound appointment. I woke up, ate breakfast, went to my spanish class... it was a totally normal day. Dave picked me up after class to go to our ultrasound appointment. And I figured it would be nice and short. We'd go home. I'd go to work. Go home and do homework. Watch LOST. Etc... Little did I know I would end up being admitted to the hospital for 2 nights! With the chance of possibly being here even longer! Luckily for us, our ultrasound technician discovered that my cervix is thinning quickly. At this point in pregnancy a woman's cervix should have about 3cm of thickness left. But I only have 1 cm. This caused concern because it meant that there was a possibility that I was experiencing pre-term labor. After lots of consultation with Doctor's it was decided that I be admitted and stay for testing. They hooked me up to a monitor which keeps track of both babies heart rates along with if I'm having contractions and just not feeling them. I was hooked up for about 5 hours! Ugh. Because the babies are only 24 weeks it was kinda difficult due to their ability to move around quite a bit. It made it hard to keep their heart rates on track. The worst part about it was that I couldn't eat the whole time and I was starving! During the test they attempted to give me an IV just in case I was to seriously go into labor. It didn't work out so well and according to the monitor I was not having any contractions. Thank goodness they decided it wasn't necessary and gave up on it. They then drew blood. And gave me a type of steroid shot in my left hip which will help with the babies lung development. Lungs are the last major body part to develop so the steroid shots will hopefully help if they come early! Not a fun day :( Because as of right now I'm not experiencing pre-term labor they figure it's just my cervix. In this scenario, there isn't a lot to do but keep a close eye on me and be put on bed rest. Yes, at 24 weeks I am on bed rest. They are keeping me one more night so tomorrow morning we can do one more test. If it turns out well they will send me home. I'm really hoping that will be the turn out! I'd much rather be on bed rest at home and keep these babes in here AS LONG AS POSSIBLE!! Please come visit me anyone and everyone! I will be lonely! And I'll keep everyone updated! :)



8 comments:

Jake and Kim said...

Oh wow you poor thing! What a not-so-great day to say the least. You'll pull through! It's a good thing they caught it, thank goodness for technology these days...

Sarah Hunt said...

Oh Carly! I pray they will stay in! I'm sorry girly! Hang in there Mamma!

Mrs. Micek said...

Oh honey I am so so sorry! I know how you feel. I had the SAME thing happen to me at 24 weeks too! I went into the hospital because I was having contractions and also going into pre-term labor. I stayed a whole day and they prescribed me medicine to take for the rest of my pregnancy to calm my contractions. Stuff like this is scary but I know you'll be okay! Just relax and try to enjoy the rest because your going to have your hands FULL soon enough! Love you and good luck!!

Chris and Marissa said...

I'm sorry Carly! I hope you can pull through and everything works out with your babies! Good luck.

jas and aubs said...

O my!! You poor thing! I'm glad to hear everything is under control!! Just think you will be totally rested before those twinnies come!! Good luck!! Let me know if you need any good books to read I have a list!!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

I love you! Hang in there lady! I'm coming to see you soon!

The Searle Family said...

Car car I'm so sorry! I am glad you and the babies are okay. Hang in there and keep us updated. Love you!

Shellie and Bryan said...

Hey Carly, you don't know me but I found your blog from my sister's(Heidi Smith). I am also having twins, just a little sooner than you. I really hope that those babies can stay in there a LOT longer, so just hang in there. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Good luck with the bedrest. It is oh so much fun :)